Help | Contact | Search


PetGallery - Pet Photos and Pictures

OzPetShop - Pet Products, Supplies and Accessories

IN THE NEWS

OzPetShop - Pet Products, Supplies and Accessories


DON’T FEED YOUR DOG GRAPES, SULTANAS OR RAISINS
07/02/2008

Veterinarians have reacted with alarm to a new book called "Wine Dogs Australia", featuring photographs of dogs carrying bunches of potentially deadly grapes in their mouths.

The Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) advises that a dog eating significant amounts of grapes, sultanas or raisins may die of kidney failure.

"We are hearing of a number of cases of dogs presenting with poisoning by grapes," Dr Retchford said. "The precise nature of the toxicity is still poorly understood, but we do know that dogs eating a certain amount of grapes or raisins in relation to their body weight will show clinical signs such as vomiting and dehydration, and may have a poor chance of survival. Small dogs, in particular, are vulnerable to relatively small doses."

Dr Retchford said that dogs will not die from eating one or two grapes or raisins, but that this practice should be discouraged.

"By allowing dogs to eat one or two grapes, it may lead to problems if a dog later helps themselves to a box of raisins or a bunch of grapes."




Australian Veterinary Association
Web: www.ava.com.au

Last Update: 07/02/08 12:19 Views: 19760

OzPetShop - Pet Products, Supplies and Accessories